Musings on Competition in the Pacific
On the 80th anniversary of the Battle of Midway, the crew discussed the Pacific Islands. Beijing has sought, but thus far failed, to strike a deal with 10 of the islands. Meanwhile, U.S. leaders are promising to devote more time and attention to the region. What is at stake? Can U.S. leaders deliver on their promises to the region? Chris also calls out U.S. political leaders for lack of action to protect the American people against gun violence, Melanie recognizes Queen Elizabeth for her many decades of leadership, and Zack hopes for good news on COVID-19 vaccinations for kids under five.
- Charles Edel, “A Fault Line in the Pacific,” Foreign Affairs, June 3, 2022.
- Anna Powles and Joanne Wallis, “It’s time to talk to, not at, the Pacific,” The Strategist, March 28, 2022.
- Carol E. Lee, Peter Nicholas, Kristen Welker, and Courtney Kube, “Inside a Biden White House Adrift,” NBC News, May 31, 2022.
- Damien Cave, “Why China is Miles Ahead in a Pacific Race for Influence,” New York Times, May 31, 2022.
- Stephen Dziedzic, “China wanted a swift diplomatic victory in the Pacific. But the region’s leaders won’t be rushed,” ABC News, June 1, 2022, https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-06-01/china-foreign-minister-pacific-visit-analysis/101116656.
- Kelly Grieco, “Trying Harder Is a Bad China Strategy,” National Interest, June 2, 2022.
- George C. Marshall International Center.
Image: U.S. Navy photo by Mass Communication Specialist 2nd Class Gregory A. Pickett II