Taiwan: Middle Path or Muddled Strategy?
The Net Assessment team debates Patrick Porter and Michael Mazarr’s recent study on “Countering China’s Adventurism Over Taiwan: A Third Way” written for the Lowy Institute. Chris, Melanie, and Zack agree that the study is thought provoking and well argued, but disagree about whether it is ultimately convincing. Nonetheless, Porter and Mazarr have made a real contribution by helping to clarify the assumptions that underlie different approaches to the Taiwan. Chris gives a shout out to the Bridging the Gap effort, Melanie complains about John Cena and Bing, and Zack commends his former colleague Ari Tabatabai.
- Patrick Porter and Michael Mazarr, “Countering China’s Adventurism Over Taiwan: A Third Way,” Lowy Institute, May 20, 2021
- Irene Braam and Alexandra de Hoop Scheffer, “Transatlantic Trends 2021,” German Marshall Fund of the United States and Bertelsmann Foundation, June 2021
- Oriana Skylar Mastro, “The Taiwan Temptation,” Foreign Affairs, July/August 2021
- Charles L. Glaser, “Washington Is Avoiding the Tough Questions on Taiwan and China,” Foreign Affairs, April 28, 2021
- Ariane M. Tabatabai, No Conquest, No Defeat: Iran’s National Security Strategy (New York: Oxford University Press, 2020),
- Dustin Walker, “Congress Should Rewrite the Pentagon’s Pacific Deterrence Budget Request,” Defense News, June 2, 2021
- Joe Biden, “My Trip to Europe Is about America Rallying the World’s Democracies,” The Washington Post, June 5, 2021
- Martin Pengelly, “Biden Trumpets Democracy in Post Op-ed – As Threats Spread at Home,” The Guardian, June 6, 2021
- Bridging the Gap
- “Future Foreign Policy: Global Perceptions of the United States, Featuring Caroline Gray,” June 16, 2021, Noon EDT
- Tom Karako, “Sing, Missile Muse, of Gods and Heroes: America’s Most Fearsome Weapons Need Better Names,” War on the Rocks, June 7, 2021
- Jill Disis, “‘F9’ Star John Cena Says He Loves China After Taiwan Remark Stokes Anger,” CNN, May 25, 2021
- Elizabeth Braw, “Spying on Allies is Normal. Also Smart,” Politico EU, June 4, 2021.
- Syaru Shirley Lin, “It’s Not Just China: Population, Power Generation, Political Polarization, and Parochialism are Also Long-Term Threats to Taiwan’s Success and Survival,” PRC Leader, June 1, 2021
- “China’s Growing Military Confidence Puts Taiwan at Risk,” Economist, May 1, 2021
- Blake Herzinger, “US Ditching Taiwan Commitments is a Dead-End Idea,” Foreign Policy, May 3, 2021
- Paul Mozur, “Microsoft’s Bing Briefly Blocked ‘Tank Man’ on Anniversary of Tiananmen Anniversary,” New York Times, June 5, 2021