The Looming End of Pax Americana?
The Net Assessment crew is back and this week they are breaking down an article written by Brian Stewart in Quillette titled, “Tensions in NATO and the Looming End of Pax Americana.” Is NATO worth American attention and money? Why don’t the Europeans just get their act together? The crew discusses what threat NATO is designed to counter and whether it should forget about Russia and focus on terrorism. Also, Bryan has a grievance with attorney general Bill Barr, Melanie takes issue with the Danish Atlantic Council, and Chris gives an attaboy to the students at the University of California, Washington Center. Join Melanie, Chris, and Bryan as they dive once more into the breach.
- Brian Stewart, “Tensions in NATO and the Looming End of Pax Americana,” Quillette, December 5, 2019
- Bret Stephens, “NATO is Full of Freeloaders. But It’s How We Defend the Free World,” New York Times, December 5, 2019
- “Emmanuel Macron in His Own Words,” Economist, November 7, 2019
- Katie Benner, “Barr and Durham Publicly, Disagree with Horowitz Report on Russian Inquiry,” New York Times, December 12, 2019
- Ben Werner, “CNO Gilday Releases New, Simplified Command Guidance to Fleet,” USNI News, December 4, 2019
- Christopher Preble, “Cops of the World No More,” CATO, January 30, 2015
- Craig Whitlock, “At War with the Truth,” Washington Post, December 9, 2019
- James Laporta, “Afghan War Report Enrages Veterans and Gold Star Families: Even as More of Us Died, They Lied,” Newsweek, December 9, 2019
- Jonah Schepp, “A NATO Summit to End All NATO Summits,” New York Magazine, December 5, 2019
- Mariel Padilla, “NATO Conference is Canceled after US Ambassador Barred a Trump Critic,” New York Times, December 8, 2019
- “The Day Will Come,” Netflix
- Orlando Parfitt, “The Day Will Come’ Claims Top Prize at Denmark’s Robert Awards,” Screen Daily, February 6, 2017