Military Lessons from the War in Ukraine
The Net Assessment crew discusses possible military lessons from the war in Ukraine. It is too early to take away any definitive lessons from the war, but it is possible to start identifying and asking some key questions. Melanie, Chris, and Zack debate recent work by Rob Lee and others about why Russia’s army, air force, and cyber capabilities have proven so ineffective. Chris also asks why the National Security Strategy still isn’t published. Zack suggests the world should encourage and welcome Russian men fleeing conscription. And Melanie commends women in Iran for standing up for their rights.
- Rob Lee, “The Tank Is Not Obsolete, And Other Observations About The Future Of Combat,” War on the Rocks, September 6, 2022.
- David Barno and Nora Bensahel, “The Other Big Lessons That The U.S. Army Should Learn From Ukraine,” War on the Rocks, June 27, 2022.
- Ben Connable, Abby Doll, Alyssa Demus, Dara Massicot, Clint Reach, Anthony Atler, William Mackenzie, Matthew Povlock, and Lauren Skrabala, “Russia’s Limit of Advance,” RAND Corporation.
- Christopher Dougherty, Gian Gentile, Michael Kofman, and Dara Massicot, “What The Experts Got Wrong (And Right) About Russian Military Power,” War on the Rocks, May 30, 2022.
- Andrew Bowen, “Russia’s War in Ukraine: Military and Intelligence Aspects,” Congressional Research Service, September 14, 2022.
- Maximilian K. Bremer and Kelly A. Grieco, “In Denial about Denial: Why Ukraine’s Air Success Should Worry the West,” War on the Rocks, June 15, 2022.
- Col. Maximilian Bremer and Kelly Grieco, “Success Denied: Finding Ground Truth in the air war over Ukraine,” Defense News, September 21, 2022.
- Jasmine Deleon, Andrea Hebel, Shweta Parthasarathy, and Jackalyn Ballard, “Reality Check #14: An educated American public can mitigate military misuse,” Atlantic Council, September 23, 2022,
- Jose Andres, Tweet, September 27, 2022.
- Ro Khanna, Tweet, September 26, 2022.
- Karim Sadjapour, Tweet, September 24, 2022.
- Lara Seligman, Paul McLeary, and Erin Banco, “These are not Rental Cars: As Ukraine Pleads for Tanks, the West Holds Back,” Politico, September 22, 2022.