Is NATO’s Vision for Its Future Right?
Chris, Zack, and Melanie sit down to talk about the NATO’s new 2022 Strategic Concept, the first update since 2010. A lot has changed since then. What does the new concept get right or wrong? What missions should NATO be focused on at this time? Is the United States a sucker for continuing to carry so much of the burden of European security, or is it in our interest to do so? Can we even have an honest debate about this? Zack turns his CHIPS Act grievance into congratulations, Chris hates politicians crafting legislation merely to score points against the other side while veterans in need of care suffer, and Melanie piles another complaint on the ACLU.
- Josh Hawley, “Why I Won’t Vote to Add Sweden and Finland to NATO,” National Interest, August 1, 2022.
- Minna Alander, “It’s the National Security, Stupid,” Lawfare, July 7, 2022.
- Justin Logan, “NATO is a Luxury Good the United States Doesn’t Need,” Foreign Policy, July 23, 2022.
- NATO 2022 Strategic Concept, June 30, 2022.
- ACLU, Tweet, July 28, 2022.
- Kevin Breuninger, “House passes bill to boost U.S. chip production and China competition, sending it to Biden,” CNBC, July 28, 2022.
- Jordan Becker, Douglas Lute, and Simon Smith, “Don’t Let Russia Dominate the Strategic Concept,” War on the Rocks, June 28, 2022.