Debating Sweden and Finland’s Entry into NATO
Chris, Melanie, and Zack consider Finland and Sweden’s applications to join the North Atlantic Treaty Organization. Is a larger NATO necessarily a more effective alliance? And what are the practical implications of defending these two countries from an apparently revanchist Russia? What does this mean for the future of European strategic autonomy? And does this signal a hardening of the old Cold War lines of West versus East, or, in this case, all of Europe versus Russia? Atta-peoples go out to the fact checkers, Australia’s Labor Party, and Rep. Mike Gallagher for waging war on military acronyms. Gripes and grievances for baby formula shortages, the Biden administration’s stinginess toward Asian allies, and (lobbyist) Gil Garcetti.
- Anne-Marie Slaughter, “Expanding Nato will deepen east-west fissure,” Financial Times, May 5, 2022.
- Stephen Walt, “Finland and Sweden Are Joining NATO to Balance Against a Rising Russian Threat,” Foreign Policy, May 18, 2022.
- Mark Cancian, “Future NATO Enlargement: Force Requirements and Budget Costs,” Center for Strategic and International Studies, September 8, 2021.
- Scott Horsley, “How the U.S. got into this baby formula mess,” May 19, 2022.
- Becky Sullivan, “Abbott CEO apologizes for the formula shortage as the first overseas shipment arrives,” NPR, May 22, 2022.
- “NOT REAL NEWS: A look at what didn’t happen this week,” Associated Press, May 21, 2022.
- “Oil, the State, and War: Global energy security after the Russian invasion of Ukraine,” Atlantic Council, June 1, 2022.
- Eric S. Edelman, “Finland and Sweden Deserve to Be in NATO Now,” The Bulwark, May 13, 2022.
- Demetri Sevastopolu and Kathrin Hille, “US to invest $150mn in south-east Asia in attempt to counter China,” Financial Times, May 12, 2022.
- “Anthony Albanese delivers victory speech after clinching win over Coalition,” ABC News, May 21, 2022.
- Mike Gallagher, Tweet, May 19, 2022.
- Hailey Fuchs, “Eric Garcetti’s Parents Register to Lobby for Their Son’s Ambassador Bid,” Politico, May 20, 2022.
- Diana Ohlbaum, “Time for a Strategic Pause on NATO Expansion,” The Hill, May 21, 2022.
- Jordan Michael Smith, “Why Is Putin So Oddly Chill about Sweden and Finland Joining NATO?” New Republic, May 18, 2022.
- Rasmus Hindren, “What Finland Will Bring to NATO—And How it Might Change the Alliance,” Breaking Defense, May 19, 2022.