NET ASSESSMENT: The China Hand
This week’s Net Assessment podcast featured a deep-dive into the Vice President’s early October speech on the competition with China. Largely drowned out by the Kavanaugh SCOTUS controversy, Melanie, Chris, and Bryan give this important speech due consideration, to include administration views on Taiwan, China’s defense buildup, and its growing global influence. The crew also discussed foreign aid, the F-35, the deficit, the alleged assassination of Jamal Khashoggi, and the resignation of Nikki Haley. All of this while celebrating Melanie’s birthday.
Vice President’s Speech
- Remarks by Vice President Pence on the Administration’s Policy Toward China
- Ethan Epstein, “How China Infiltrated US Classrooms,” Politico, January 16, 2018.
- Glenn Thrush, “Trump Embraces Foreign Aid to Counter China’s Global Influence,” New York Times, October 14, 2018.
- Jim DeBrosse, “Waiting for the Great Leap Forward,” Cincinnati Magazine, May 4, 2017.
- Alan Rappeport, “In New Slap at China, US Expands Power to Block Foreign Investments,” New York Times, October 10, 2018.
- Jane Perlez and Yufan Huang, “Behind China’s $1 Trillion Plan to Shake Up the Economic Order,” New York Times, May 13, 2017.
- Adva Saldinger, “A New US Development Finance Agency Takes Flight,” Devex, October 4, 2018
- Glenn Thrush, “Trump Embraces Foreign Aid to Counter China’s Global Influence,” The New York Times, October 14, 2018
Airing of Grievances