We’re Hiring an Editor and Researcher
Please note: This is one of two editorial positions we are currently seeking to fill. Check out the Membership Editor position as well. The application deadline for both is Oct. 2, 2022.
War on the Rocks is looking for a detail-oriented editor and researcher, who is committed to the clear communication of sophisticated ideas and is excited to work in the field of national security. This is a full-time position (40 hours a week), beginning in fall 2022. Living in the Washington, DC-area is not a requirement, but you must have the right to work in the United States.
About the Publication
War on the Rocks is focused on growing and serving a community passionate about strategy, defense, and foreign affairs. It is the flagship publication of Metamorphic Media, a D.C.-based media and education company. Founded in 2013, War on the Rocks aims to improve the professional and public discourse on issues of strategic importance by featuring experienced and authoritative voices in articles, essays, and podcasts. We value camaraderie, creativity, and expertise.
About the Position
This editor will be responsible for seeing articles through from pitch to publication. This role also involves some research responsibilities supporting a new podcast series on technologies and tradeoffs in national security affairs.
- Playing an important role in daily editorial operations and the editorial process
- Regular interaction with writers, including solicitation
- Posting articles and content
- Supporting research activities
Skills and Experience Required
- Five years of editorial experience
- Attention to detail
- Proven track record of delivering against short-term deadlines
- Exceptional and elegant written English
- Subject-matter familiarity with defense (especially industry and technology) and foreign policy issues
- Familiarity with AP Style
- A high level of attention to detail
- Patience and rigor
- Ability to communicate edits clearly, constructively, and politely to authors
- Ability to work flexibly as part of a small team
- Did we mention attention to detail?
How to Apply
Applicants should provide their resume, a cover letter, and two writing samples — one short-form and one long-form — all as PDFs and all as attachments (no Google Drive please). In your cover letter, please include an amusing story about yourself. Send applications to email@example.com with WOTR EDITOR APP in the subject line. The deadline for all applicants is Oct. 2, 2022. Applications received after that date will not be considered.
Metamorphic Media is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any classification protected by federal, state, or local law.
Image: U.S. Marine Corps photo by Cpl. Arianna Lindheimer