War on the Rocks Needs a New Managing Editor, Starting this Summer
WE ARE NO LONGER ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR THIS POSITION
War on the Rocks is looking for a full-time managing editor, as our current managing editor is heading off to graduate school. The managing editor is responsible for the daily editorial operations of War on the Rocks and will report directly to the editor-in-chief. Please note this is not the same position as the Texas National Security Review executive editor, which we have also recently advertised.
War on the Rocks is a DC-based media and education company focused on growing and serving a community passionate about strategy, defense, and foreign affairs. Founded in 2013, War on the Rocks aims to improve the professional and public discourse on issues of strategic importance by featuring experienced and authoritative voices in articles, essays, visual presentations, and podcasts. We value comradery, creativity, and expertise.
Because this is a small company, the position requires someone who can thrive in a fast-paced environment that will rarely be bounded by 9 to 5. If you are looking for something exciting and unconventional that allows you to play a major role in fostering and promoting experienced thinkers and their ideas, then this job might be for you. Compensation is competitive and there is strong potential for growth.
This role will come with a great deal of autonomy and responsibility. As such, we are looking for a mid-career professional with at least five years of relevant professional experience. While being an intern can offer a valuable entryway into a rich and rewarding career, we are not counting internships towards this minimum, five-year requirement.
WE ARE NO LONGER ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR THIS POSITION. THE DEADLINE WAS MAY 8, 2019.
- Oversight and management of day-to-day editorial operations and the editorial process, including accepting and rejecting submissions, soliciting writers and articles, soliciting subject-matter experts to review submissions, working closely with writers to edit and shape articles, and setting a daily publication schedule
- Recruiting, hiring, and supervising part-time editorial assistants
- Working closely with senior editors to solicit new writers, commission articles and reviews, and bolster WOTR’s content in new areas
- Coming up with and implementing ideas for special series, podcasts, events, and other initiatives
- Representing War on the Rocks at national security-focused events in Washington and sometimes elsewhere
Skills and experience required:
- Editorial experience
- Exceptional and elegant written English
- Five years of relevant professional experience
- Master’s degree in a relevant field (additional years of professional writing/editing experience can be substituted for this)
- Attention to detail, patience, and rigorous organizational skills
- Commitment to responsiveness and responsibility
- Ability to communicate briefly and at length in writing to different audiences
- Ability to work flexibly as a part of a small team
- Subject matter familiarity with a broad array of defense and foreign policy issues
- Deep specialization in at least one defense/foreign policy subject matter area
- Ability to multi-task, juggling many balls in the air
Bonus skills and experience:
- Basic knowledge of and experience with WordPress
- Time working or living outside of the United States, especially in a conflict zone
- Military and/or U.S. government experience
- PhD in a relevant field
- A publication record in relevant (policy, strategy, defense, foreign affairs, and national security) media outlets
- A publication record in peer-reviewed academic journals
Before you apply, please read the following:
- Ryan Evans, “Introducing War on the Rocks,” July 8, 2013.
- Frank Hoffman, “Repairing America’s Strategy Bridge,” July 21, 2013.
- Ryan Evans, “Three Lessons on Our Third Anniversary: The Hard and Lovely Things About War on the Rocks,” July 12, 2016.
Applicants should provide their resume, a cover letter, and two writing samples – one short-form and one long-form – all as PDFs and all as attachments (no Google Drive please). In your cover letter, please include an amusing story about yourself. Send applications to firstname.lastname@example.org with WOTR MANAGING EDITOR APP in the subject line.
Applications submitted after May 8, 2019 will not be considered.
War on the Rocks Media, LLC is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any classification protected by federal, state, or local law.