War on the Rocks Media LLC is looking for a full-time Managing Editor. The Managing Editor will be our third hire this year and will report directly to the Editor-in-Chief. Please note this is not the same position as the Texas National Security Review Managing Editor, which we have already filled.
War on the Rocks is a DC-based media company focused on growing and serving a community passionate about strategy, defense, and foreign affairs. Founded in the summer of 2013, War on the Rocks aims to improve our public discourse on issues of strategic importance by featuring experienced and authoritative voices in articles, essays, visual presentations, and podcasts. We value comradery, creativity, expertise, and advancing the boundaries of what a media company can accomplish.
Because this is a small company, the position requires someone who can thrive in a fast-paced environment that will rarely be bounded by 9 to 5. If you are looking for something exciting and unconventional that allows you to play a major role in fostering and promoting experienced thinkers and their ideas, then this job might be for you. Compensation is competitive and there is strong potential for growth.
This role will come with a great deal of autonomy and responsibility. As such, we are looking for a mid-career professional with at least five years of relevant professional experience. While being an intern can offer a valuable entryway into a rich and rewarding career, we are not counting internships towards this minimum, five-year requirement.
The deadline to apply for this job is May 19, 2017.
- Oversight and management of day-to-day editorial operations and the editorial process
- Regular interaction with writers, including solicitation
- Supervising editorial assistants
- Coordinating senior editors
- Overseeing social media campaigns
- Posting articles and content
- Coming up with ideas for special series and implementing them
Skills and experience required:
- Editorial experience
- Exceptional and elegant written English
- Five years of relevant professional experience
- Master’s degree in a relevant field (additional years of professional writing/editing experience can be substituted for this)
- Attention to detail, patience, and rigorous organizational skills
- Commitment to responsiveness and responsibility
- Ability to communicate briefly and at length in writing to different audiences
- Ability to work flexibly as a part of a small team
- Subject matter familiarity with a broad array of defense and foreign policy issues
- Deep specialization in at least one defense/foreign policy subject matter area
- Ability to multi-task, juggling many balls in the air without letting them drop
Bonus skills and experience:
- Basic knowledge of and experience with WordPress
- Time working or living outside of the United States, especially in a conflict zone
- Military and/or U.S. government experience
- PhD in a relevant field
- A publication record in relevant (policy, strategy, defense, foreign affairs, and national security) media outlets
- A publication record in peer-reviewed academic journals
Before you apply, please read the following:
- Ryan Evans, “Introducing War on the Rocks,” July 8, 2013.
- Frank Hoffman, “Repairing America’s Strategy Bridge,” July 21, 2013.
- Ryan Evans, “Three Lessons on Our Third Anniversary: The Hard and Lovely Things About War on the Rocks,” July 12, 2016.
Applicants should provide their resume, a cover letter, and two writing samples – one short form and one long form – all as PDFs and all as attachments (no Google Drive please). In your cover letter, please include an amusing story about yourself. Send applications to email@example.com with WOTR MANAGING EDITOR APP in the subject line.
Applications submitted after May 19, 2017 will not be considered.
War on the Rocks Media, LLC is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any classification protected by federal, state, or local law.
Image: U.S. Navy photo by Mass Communication Specialist 3rd Class Zachary Eshleman